By Jill Lachenmayr
With tremendous appreciation and inspiration, the Learning Forward Foundation is delighted to support educator professional learning by partnering with selected learning leaders each year, to help them transform their beliefs and practice to improve professional learning in their organizations. We are excited to announce the Learning Forward Foundation scholarship and grant award winners for 2018. It is an honor to help support these educators on their professional learning journey!
Learning Forward Foundation Academy Scholarships
- Katherine Cottrell is the Director of Professional Development at Gimnasio La Montaña in Bogata, Columbia. Through the academy experience, Katherine seeks to increase the quality of job-embedded professional learning at her school to empower teachers and improve student learning. The focus of her project will be to develop a shared vision of professional learning, create opportunities for stakeholders to share ideas for achieving the vision, implement promising strategies, and evaluate the impact on student and adult learning.
- Katoria Gaston is an Instructional Coach at Gwinnett County Public Schools in Suwanee, Georgia. Through her academy adventure, Katoria will be looking for ways for her district to increase teacher retention. The focus of her project will be to help answer the question, “What impact does a new teacher and mentoring framework have on teacher retention?”
Patsy Hochman Academy Scholarship
- Susan Cole is the Executive Director of Instruction and Professional Learning at Leander Independent School District in Leander, Texas. Leander ISD is a fast-growth district that has worked hard to maintain its small-town feel and culture. As part of the next Academy class,Susan will be working on designing a comprehensive professional learning system that empowers staff. The focus of her project will include evaluating and creating systemic processes that will help her district moving forward.
Dale Hair Affiliate Grant
- Congratulations to Learning Forward Illinois! The affiliate’s goals are to increase membership and create meaningful support and networking opportunities that build value for current and future members.
Learning Forward Foundation Affiliate Grant
- Congratulations to Learning Forward Oklahoma! Learning Forward Oklahoma is an emerging affiliate with the challenge of creating an informed and networked organizational infrastructure that can support educators through the delivery of quality, sustained professional learning. Their focus is to deepen the understanding of effective professional learning, partner with Oklahoma educational organizations, and to articulate a short- and long-term strategic plan.
Principal as Leader of Professional Learning
- Tara Dedeaux is a Principal within Harford County Public Schools in Aberdeen, Maryland. Tara’s school, Bakerfield, has many foundational structures in place, including school improvement goal teams, focused on quality instruction, and a culture that encourages a growth mindset. Their current focus is to help create a “spark” and passion within each person to sustain and continue the good work they have accomplished together. Continuous improvement can be challenging, and they are looking for ways to keep the energy levels high.
Learning Forward Foundation Team Grant
- Christina Miller is the Coordinator of Formative Assessment in Charles County Public Schools in La Plata, Maryland. Christina will be working to create more robust professional learning processes in her district for teachers and school leadership teams. Christina would like to create more support for educators as they implement formative assessments into their practice.
Congratulations to the award winners as they embark on the exciting journey of creating systemic processes that support and honor educators in their learning. They are building a strong foundation for future success by investing in their own professional learning and those who stand with them in the meaningful work of education. We honor and celebrate you! Learn more about these promising initiatives in the June edition of The Learning Professional.
About the author
Jill Lachenmayr serves as the Assistant Superintendent of Academic Affairs for Andover Public Schools. She is treasurer of the Learning Forward Kansas Affiliate and a board member of the Learning Forward Foundation.