Volunteer! Get Involved with Learning Forward
Members who would like to affect professional learning on a larger scale have numerous opportunities to lead or support conferences, scholarships, and publications.
Get an up-close look at what is happening behind the scenes in cutting-edge professional learning with these volunteer positions.
Award entries are judged based on set criteria by a review panel of volunteer members. Calls for reviewers are announced periodically. For more information contact Tom Manning, Associate Director of Consulting and Networks
Session hosts introduce session presenters during Annual Conference concurrent sessions where they distribute and collect session evaluations, and support general presenter needs. Hosts are chosen from the individuals who check the box on the conference registration form indicating interest in being a host. Hosts are recruited for the Annual Conference between October – November. For more information contact Niki Gamble, Affiliate and Products Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers support Learning Forward staff and host committee with Annual Conference activities by assisting the host committee with registration, hospitality, publicity, student presence, program execution, exhibits, sponsors, and operations. Each conference host committee recruits volunteers 12 - 18 months prior to the conference convening. For more information visit the conference volunteers page
or contact Kristin Buehrig, Programs Associate
Help review proposals and ensure our conferences offer educators the highest quality professional learning. Proposal review can be done remotely or at the conference site. Annual Conference proposals are reviewed from January through early February. For more information contact Suzanne Siegel, Learning Programs Manager
members are selected from the state that hosts each Summer Conference. Members chair committees and provide leadership for activities related to conference registration, hospitality, publicity, programs, sponsors, and operations. Members who have held their Learning Forward membership for a minimum of three years are invited to submit letters of interest
or recommend a colleague to serve on a host committee. Host committee members serve for the 12–18 months leading up to the conference convening, and participate on site during the conference. Host committee members are recognized on stage during a general session for their leadership during the conference. For more information contact Kristin Buehrig, Programs Associate
Learning Forward Foundation Committees
Learning Forward Foundation raises funds and manages its grants and scholarship program year round to maintain its commitment to award as many grants and scholarships as possible to educators, school teams and organizations whose application meets the highest evaluation criteria for the various scholarships and grants. Committee participation is key to the Foundation's success. Meetings are held quarterly online.
- Fundraising: Coordinates the foundation's overall fundraising and donor appreciation efforts.
- Scholarship and grant: Contributes to evaluation, selection, and support of grant and scholarship recipients.
- Marketing and public relations: Oversees the foundation's official public relations and communications efforts through the Learning Forward website, journals, and other outlets.
- Planning and evaluation: Creates an evaluation process that provides useful, results-based information and helps the Board to be more effective; makes sure the Board has opportunities to reflect regularly on how well it is meeting its responsibilities to the organization; and assesses scholarships and grants progress toward their stated goals.
- Board Structure, Policies and Procedures: Provides operational policies and procedures that give direction and guidelines for effective management and delivery of services.
For more information, see the Foundation