Reaching Out to Members of Congress Talking Points
- Support the House Appropriations Committee FY 2020 mark-up that would provide an increase of $500 million for Title II-A.
- Full funding of Title II – the Supporting Effective Instruction State Grants Program in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) – must be preserved and increased in order for teachers and principals to meet the needs of the students they serve.
- Title II is the only dedicated source of federal funding for professional learning and leadership support for teachers and principals.
- With an increasingly diverse set of student needs and higher demands for how students must be prepared to be college and career ready, Title II has never been more important! Teachers and school leaders must have resources available for continued growth in their practice to meet student needs.
- ESSA strengthened Title II by establishing new evidence requirements and a more rigorous definition of professional learning. We need to give ESSA a chance to work!
- We use Title II funds in my [school/district/state] for....
Among its many uses, Title II supports:
- instructional coaching and mentoring,
- professional learning in content and pedagogy,
- specialized training for teachers and principals to meet individual student needs,
- implementation support for personalized learning, effective instructional materials and technology, and
- leadership development for principals
What members are saying
The Learning Forward Academy is a 2.5 year experience which supported me in implementing a highly effective teacher development program and held me accountable to measuring and improving the impact of the professional learning implemented. The learning I received transferred to other teacher development programs I now lead and emphasized the importance of monitoring and measuring impact to ensure professional learning is effective. — Anna Mary Smith