Reaching Out to Members of Congress Talking Points
- Support the House Appropriations Committee FY 2020 mark-up that would provide an increase of $500 million for Title II-A.
- Full funding of Title II – the Supporting Effective Instruction State Grants Program in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) – must be preserved and increased in order for teachers and principals to meet the needs of the students they serve.
- Title II is the only dedicated source of federal funding for professional learning and leadership support for teachers and principals.
- With an increasingly diverse set of student needs and higher demands for how students must be prepared to be college and career ready, Title II has never been more important! Teachers and school leaders must have resources available for continued growth in their practice to meet student needs.
- ESSA strengthened Title II by establishing new evidence requirements and a more rigorous definition of professional learning. We need to give ESSA a chance to work!
- We use Title II funds in my [school/district/state] for....
Among its many uses, Title II supports:
- instructional coaching and mentoring,
- professional learning in content and pedagogy,
- specialized training for teachers and principals to meet individual student needs,
- implementation support for personalized learning, effective instructional materials and technology, and
- leadership development for principals
What members are saying
The Learning Forward Academy is “access.” The Academy created opportunities to learn from research, practitioners, and organizations across the globe. The Academy provided the tools and “know how” to become architects of learning for adults and students and advocates for the quality of support needed to change practice. The Academy is part of a larger organization that works to empower educators to use that access to launch movements driven to improve student learning. Most importantly, that access never goes away. It’s always there. — DeNelle West