Learning Forward welcomes proposals for book manuscripts. We look for works that meet the specific needs of our audience, members, and those interested in the field of professional learning and eager to improve student learning through educator development. Learning Forward prefers manuscripts that meet its core beliefs, purpose, and Standards for Professional Learning
. To learn more about these areas, please refer to: Core Beliefs Purpose Standards for Professional Learning
Process for submissions
Complete proposals include:
1) An opening page with
- a short description of the book’s content;
- a paragraph describing the intended audience; and
- a brief explanation of author’s rationale for publishing (i.e., what it will add to the field; what niche it will fill); and
- author’s full contact information including title, organization, address, email, phone, and fax.
2) An outline, similar to the Table of Contents, but with additional detail.
3) A sample chapter to demonstrate how the author approaches the topic and his or her writing style. The author may choose a chapter other than Chapter 1 to submit; however, the editors will expect the chapter to provide a clear understanding of the overarching vision for the book.
4) Optional: A vita or resume from the writer. Submitting a manuscript
- Include all materials in a single electronic folder.
- Name each document in the file with author’s last name, followed by the type of material: for example, jonesTOC.doc; jonesChapter1.doc; jonesoutline.doc; jonescover.doc; jonesresume.doc.
- Focus more on preparing the content rather than formatting the text. Many authors spend considerable time and effort formatting their proposals with special fonts, boxes, shading, and typefaces. Learning Forward has professional designers who will choose appropriate fonts and design the material for final presentation. Please use a 12-point, readable, easy-to-follow font in the proposal.
Notification and selection
- Finally, please respect the professional standard of submitting to one publisher at a time. We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
Learning Forward reviews proposals three times a year in March, July, and November. To be included in the review process, submit manuscripts by March 1; July 1; or October 1.
Authors will receive notification via email that their proposal has been received. Notification about selection takes approximately 6 weeks and will occur in mid-April, August and November.
Questions about the book proposal submission process may be directed to:
Tracy Crow email@example.com
A committee of Learning Forward staff members review proposals submitted. We will contact authors with the results of the review process.
Thank you for considering us as a publisher!